Thursday, October 28, 2010

Culinary Adventures with Bob and Al: I heart pumpkin

Any excuse I can find to bake with pumpkin, I usually take. Soooo, I was extra excited to find a recipe for Pumpkin Shortbread Squares on Tasty Kitchen.

Check out this recipe:

  • FOR THE SHORTBREAD BASE:
  • 1-¼ cup All-purpose Flour
  • 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar (heaping)
  • ½ cups Softened Butter
  • 1 dash Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • _____
  • FOR THE PUMPKIN FILLING:
  • 1-½ cup Pureed Pumpkin
  • ½ cups Packed Light Brown Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoons Ground Nutmeg
  • ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
  • _____
  • FOR THE TOPPINGS:
  • ⅓ cups Chopped, Toasted Walnuts (or Any Other Nut)
  • ⅓ cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • ¼ cups Prepared Caramel Sauce

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 8×8 square dish with parchment paper or foil (if desired) and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for shortbread until moist. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
In different large bowl, whisk together ingredients for pumpkin filling. Stir until smooth. Pour over shortbread and smooth the top. Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips over top and press lightly into filling. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the entire dessert.
Bake 45 minutes-55 minutes or until pumpkin filling has set. Cool completely before removing. Cut into 16 equal squares and serve.
Note: I happened to put mine into the fridge and ate a piece cold and actually preferred it that way! So maybe give that a try to see if you’d like that better than warm or at room temperature.
I didn't use caramel in mine, so technically they were low fat! I'm SO healthy. ha.
Next time I make them I think I'll scratch the whole walnuts and chocolate bit and just do a Streusel Topping.
here's a streusel topping recipe: (this was in the pumpkin bread recipe I made earlier this month) - also courtesy of Tasty Kitchen!
  • FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING:
  • ¼ cups Butter, Softened
  • ½ cups Brown Sugar
  • ¼ cups Oatmeal
  • ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 3 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seed
  • ¼ cups Chopped Pecans (optional)

How did people find recipes before the internet? Oh yeah, they talked to each other??! Weird!
Thanks to my Bible study girls for trying out my inaugural pumpkin shortbread squares!!

No comments: