Friday, October 15, 2010

Time flies when you're having fun!

Time also flies when you aren't!

:)

On that note, I deliver the news that tomorrow marks my four year anniversary at my job. Fourrrrr yearssss.

I won't bore you with the likes and dislikes about my job. There are many on both sides of the fence. More on the dislike side lately. I digress........................

I just find it positively shocking that it's been four years since I had my first day here. I was so intimidated, so excited, so nervous to begin my job as an executive assistant in the commercial real estate world. I remember what I wore my first day. I remember conversations that happened that first week. Crazy thing is, I'm still wearing the same clothes that I was four years ago. Not joking. Same stuff is in the rotation. And now, instead of being so nervous and so excited, I'm so on auto-pilot. I could do my job in a highly sedated state and I doubt anyone would notice. (I don't Mom, don't worry.) It also seems I'm having the same conversations.

"Alexis, can you print this out for me?" - highly tense boss acting as if this printing these documents is the life or death for the company
"Yes, I can print that out."

I can do a mean printing out. You have no idea. Ctrl P and the paper starts flying. It's insane how good I am.

Don't get me wrong, with the way the economy has been these last two years, yours truly at ppppffffftttttt, is thankful to have a job and printing out things for my bosses.

Yay paycheck. Yay paying rent. Yay for health insurance. These are good things. I don't take that biz for granted. Also, can't take the people for granted. I love my work family. In the same way you love your weird dysfunctional family members. God has a great way of weaving people in and out of our lives, you know?

Regardless of my lasting relationships, I do worry about my brain cells. If they're not reactivated soon, I think they all might disappear into the abyss. The abyss of deactivated brain cells of overpaid assistants. I've decided that I'm overpaid for the amount of work I do. I still want a raise - FOUR YEAR MILESTONE. hello, value me! ppppffffffttttttttt. Not happening.

Happy anniversary to me. I'm praying about my future. I know I need to figure out a new direction, just not sure where it is yet.

An old Friday tradition here at the office that is being brought back today. Haven't done this in a while. M and M's, wine and stuffing statements (lots of envelopes) - Don't be jealous, Mary.

Peter Gibbons: Our high school guidance counselor used to ask us what you'd do if you had a million dollars and you didn't have to work. And invariably what you'd say was supposed to be your career. So, if you wanted to fix old cars then you're supposed to be an auto mechanic.
Samir: So what did you say?
Peter Gibbons: I never had an answer. I guess that's why I'm working at Initech.
Michael Bolton: No, you're working at Initech because that question is bullshit to begin with. If everyone listened to her, there'd be no janitors, because no one would clean shit up if they had a million dollars.
Samir: You know what I would do if I had a million dollars? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...
Michael Bolton: Samir, you're missing the point. The point of the exercise is that you're supposed to figure out what you would want to do if...
[printer starts beeping]
Michael Bolton: "PC Load Letter"? What the f*** does that mean? 

Oh, PC Load Letter. Office Space becomes more and more relevant to me every day. 

No comments: