Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Simplicity

I rarely regret keeping things simple. Last night for Bob's birthday dinner, the theme was simplicity. Simplicity to avoid stress and simplicity to ensure that it would be good. On the menu was a pan fried ribeye, homemade garlic mashed potatoes and peas (the man loves peas?). (Rolls were supposed to be a part of this - but I had oven issues) Once this meal was done, I looked at it on the plate and determined it was a very 1950's meal. I don't know why. It just seemed that way. 

if only i smiled when cooking...

I love cooking a good meal, I do, especially for a special occasion, but I'm here to tell you ladies and gentlemen, it's not easy -even when you keep it simple. Making sure your mashed potatoes aren't cold by the time the steak is ready. Making sure the steak is done, but not burned when you're not really sure what it's supposed to look like. It's sort of stressful. Especially when you want everything to be perfect for a certain someones' birthday. Last night when I was cooking, I felt this unnecessary pressure. I had to tell myself that by being stressed, I'm ruining the whole object cooking my husband a birthday dinner. Especially since he could hear me occasionally yelling at myself from the kitchen. "Do you need help in there?" Bob asked. "No, no, it's your birthday, everything is fine!" I said as the kitchen filled with smoke. (TIP: Bacon grease on the bottom of your oven=smoke.)

Everything ended up fine and I think Bob liked his birthday dinner. Mission accomplished. Then the cleaning ensued. Of course, there was no way I was letting him help. No one should wash a dish on their bday. By the time I cleaned up, I realized how little the amount of time was that I had with Robert and thought THIS is why people go out to dinner on their birthdays. pppfffftttttttt. I like to cook and I don't mind dishes, but on Robert's birthday, I would have liked to have no stress and just been able to enjoy the moment and spend actual time with him. Next year, we're going to La Madeleine. HA. JK. But, maybe we will go somewhere, so I can have a conversation with him that doesn't include the question, "Are you sure you like the steak?" and the statements, "You don't have to eat anything. It might not be good." 

Sometimes, simplicity means keeping it simple for yourself. So you can simply smile at your husband on his birthday and not look like a ragged homeless women by the end of the cooking and cleaning.

Life lessons, just keep coming at me. ha.

Onto another topic....

I've noticed that Tory has decided to keep it simple this fall and I like it. 
Here we have the Patent Eddie Ballet Flat.

Goodness, I could totally live in those. I actually had a pair from the Gap two falls ago that weren't to far from this. I'm sure they had major differences, but the same basic concept is the same. Just simple can be simply fabulous and functional. 

I mean, you do have to make room for the fun and trendy now and then in fashion, but you'll never regret that simple piece that goes with everything.

Also...

In sports, I've seen that you have to nail the simple rules or you make mistakes and it can be fatal to your game. You've got to get the basics before you can more on to the complex plays.
Touchdown!
Lastly, simplicity is king on the dance floor. See the below video. This was at one of my best friends' wedding. Obvi, it was a great time. She's the beautiful bride dancing about :). If you watch carefully at the left of the screen, you'll find Roberto fist-pumping his heart out on the dance floor. The fist-pump. It's simple. It's fun. It's genius. 


Never be afraid to keep it simple my friends.

No comments: