Thursday, September 23, 2010

Nantucket: Day Four

Oh what a perfect day this was. The sun was shining the air was crisp. One of those days when you walk outside and you're just suddenly aware of how lucky you are to be on this earth. We walked the 5 minute walk to the Episcopal Church that Robert's parents have gone to a handful of times that they've been there. I know, you might be thinking, church on a vacation? Trust me, you want to go to the churches in Nantucket. They're old and beautiful.

I was happy to be going. I was excited to tell my mom about it, she's loves the Episcopal faith because that is the church she grew up attending. We grew up in Methodist church, but she and my dad have now been regularly attending the Episcopal church in C-bad since my sister and I have left. (Gosh, sometimes, it's still weird that I'm grown up and don't live with mommy and daddy anymore.)

I was also happy I was going to have some moments to think about the Creator that gave us this day to enjoy, a husband I dearly love and friends and family that mean everything to me. The experience exceeded my expectations. This church touched my heart. The children in their church were involved in several aspects that adults usually do throughout the service. Two children, not more than age 12, read Bible readings. To hear a child's voice read the Bible is just touching. Little ones, probably 8-12, passed out the the offering bowls. Also, I was surprised to see in the bulletin how much this little church had going on. Many ministries, social gatherings, Bible studies. It was neat to take a glimpse into a church community that was clearly loving it's member and the town around it. I think I was just expecting a sleepy little church with drifters coming in and out. I was wrong, this church was in full swing and it blessed me to be a part of it, just for that day. The sermon focused on a parable that I totally did not get at first read. The minister was to the point, smart and funny broke it down. It taught me about the character of God, how deeply he loves us and cares for us - which is always a welcome reminder.

Roberto and I after the church service. 

artsy pic i tried to take of the church

back at the house pic under scenic arch. wool dress isn't doing much for my figure here. pppffttt.

This day was Boney and Teri's last day on the island, so we tried to do all that we could. We took a drive around and ended up going to check out a beach that I don't remember the name of. I would make up a name, but Robert will call me out on it. 

pathway to beach

where's Waldo/Bob?

seriously perfect day.

Scarves on a beach

Robert and I, being the adrenaline junkies that we are, went down to the water. Boney asked Robert to sit his toe in the water and tell him how the temperature was.
 
Here's Robert's toe in the water. I think it looks more like a lyrical dance move. Very graceful, honey.

Here's my cliche write in the sand pic. It looks like Al hearts Boo but it's supposed to say Al hearts Bob. Speaking of AL. I've been fighting against the nickname Al since one of my best friends' Jill stated calling me it the end of my college freshmen year. I would beg her, "Jill don't call me Al, it makes me feel like a lumberjack." Alas, the nickname had stuck in Jill's mind and she couldn't stop. Somehow, Mary started calling me Al - I'm pretty sure just because she knew I didn't like it. Now it's snowballed to Sarah, Ande, Jamie and finally Robert calling me Al. Upon hearing Robert call me Al, Robert's mom commented, "Did you just call her Al?" Yes, mommy-in-law, you heard right. Al the lumberjack at your service. Actually it's sort of grown on me and I've accepted it (i.e. Culinary Adventures of Bob and Al). Although, I prefer the nickname Karns uses for me- Kitten. (Origin: Sexy Lexi, shortened to Sexy, then Sex, then Sex Kitten and now it's just to Kitten). Much more girly than AL, but it's hasn't caught on in the same way. I'll answer to both though - Kitten or Al, take your pick.

Here begins a series of pics at the look out pier. You've seen us here before.



Yep, Boney you are the best. 

Duh. Christmas card pic. Good thing my hair was clean. Not. Boney offered a girl and her boyfriend sitting on a bench right in front of us a dollar if they took our picture. (She actually ended up taking four pics, earning herself four dollars.) She didn't accept her payment.

pic of a church i snapped on the way to dinner. this church as a really great look out point at the top.

another feeble attempt at photography, but you can see the top of the church. 

Here we are in front of Teri's favorite restaurant in Nantucket, American Seasons. She is into good food and cooking, so when she has a favorite restaurant I take notice. I loved the atmosphere, I wish I would have snapped some pics, but I don't think I would have captured the restaurants' subtle ambiance. 

Here begins my series of food pics. beautiful heirloom tomato salad that Teri ordered for an appetizer.

this is cornmeal crusted fried oysters that i got for an appetizer. like whoa they were good.

here's the chicken fried quail that Robert ordered for din

best salmon ever for my din. 

Teri got an oven roasted cod with a lobster bolognese and crispy lemon rings.

Good-bye, American Seasons!

I took some pics on the way home (whispering: I was a little drunk!) I don't know if you can see it but above the address of this house we walked by hangs a little sign that says "Hunky Dory". In Nantucket, everyone names their houses. It's pretty cute, I loved walking by the houses and seeing all of the fun names.

See the window box full of flowers. Window boxes are major in Nantucket (yes, took that from R.Z.) Almost every store and house has a window box or two with an awesome arrangement of flowers. I loved them. I didn't love them as much as Robert's mom who took lots of pictures of all of the different flower boxes to get ideas for her own. She's an interior designer and is creative like that. I still can't manage to keep a plant alive. ppppfffttttt.

Oh and now we've come to Murray's Toggery Shop! (I like to say that with a British accent. I was actually doing so on the way home from dinner and making Robert's parents laugh. They were most likely thinking, "my gosh, who did our son marry and WHY??") What is a toggery?? I have no clue! But, it's fun to say!! They sell Nantucket Reds, "an island tradition" - a line of washed red clothing ranging from boxers to polos and pants. When Rhonda goes to Nantucket, I've no doubt, she will leave there dressed head to toe in Nantucket Reds :). We passed Murray's Toggery Shop every time we walked home. You can tell it's one of those special places that is more than just a store but an institution that's been there for years. You know like Harold's used to be in Norman :(. 


Here we are back home and obviously I'm still drunk because I'm taking pics of our room? Cool, Al. Oh well, here's a pic of Robert and I's room for the long weekend. Really comfy. 

I don't think this picture captures how steep and tiny these stairs were. So steep in fact, if you tripped down them, I'm not kidding, you would break your neck. Every time I headed downstairs, Robert said, "be careful." I was reallyyyy careful, these babies were treacherous. There was another set of stairs, but these were so convenient - we risked it. Again, Bob and Al - adrenaline junkies.
 
Goodnight, Nantucket! Love, Drunk Al.

The End - of Day Four

No comments: