Thursday, September 23, 2010

Nantucket: Day Five

How do days go by so fast when you're on vacation? It's like you blink and it's over. Thursday-Monday seems like ample time to get a good vacation in, right? I'm here to confirm, that it's not long enough, ladies and gentlemen. Then again, what is long enough? I could definitely stay a good couple months in Nantucket and not get my fill. Maybe even a year? Oh well, oh well, just have to be thankful for the time that I had there and know we enjoyed it to its' fullest.

On Monday morning, we said good bye to Boney and Teri :(. Their flight was at 9:00 a.m., ours wasn't til 6:00 p.m. Robert and I got a full day to play.

You might not find this cool unless you're a dork like me. How cool is that? This sign was on one of the old houses that is now a shop. I'm so inspired to read Moby Dick after my closeness to its' beginning. I'm also really scared. Boney said it's the toughest book he's ever had to get through. The only other book that has stretched his mind more that Moby Dick is the Bible. Goodness. Robert has started it and then stopped it because it's so dense. Maybe we could get through it together. Husband and wife reading aloud Moby Dick to each other every night. How romantic.
 
Guess where we are here?? That's right, the pier lookout place. I'm not usually a fan of birds, but this little gang of ducks were so cute. There were about six of them, though this pic only catches three. I commented to Robert how it looked like they were just being carried by the ocean. He said, yeah, but don't they say something about ducks like how it looks like they're just floating but they're really working so hard under the water. I thought of their little legs kicking so hard below the water where we can't see. It reminded me of God, how we don't usually see physical proof of Him, but he's there working so hard for us, trying to guide us through the life's ocean.

This should be posted on the what NOT to do in Nantucket website? Why did I do this? Couldn't tell you.

Here's one of the big fishing boats docked up at the pier. You can book a fishing trip, which we didn't do because it's late in the season. Robert and his dad have done it and say it's really fun. 

How comfy do these look? I know they look kind of funny, but that top part is a waistband and I could just imagine that I would live in those around the house in the summertime. Also, I heart seersucker. I snapped this pic, so that my aspiring fashion designer sister can sew these for me. The were 50% off and still like $150. Yeah right, Nantucket, I don't think so.

If you've never had Nantucket Nectars go to Einstein's Bagels and get one right now. (Einstein's is the only place I can find them in Dallas.) They are the BEST juices. Obvi, they started in Nantucket and here's where the magic began. At the end of a pier in a tiny breakfast restaurant.
 
After all our walking and shopping, we decided to take 5 on the steps of the Methodist church right off the main square. Doesn't it kind of remind you of the Kappa house in Norman? Just beautiful.

the view from the steps

baby on the steps


Our shopping and walking continued and we found ourselves in a leather crafts, pocket knife, jewelry, shoe and expensive jacket shop. It was really unique and manly and just screamed "Jeff Neal" - my daddy. This was a lab just hanging out in the store. He was so cute and sweet.

here's a man literally leather crafting! my dad does this on a small scale, so i thought this was neat.


Enjoy the flora of Nantucket.




My friends, this marks the end of my maiden voyage to Nantucket. This little sign was atop the little airport. 

I feel overwhelmed and blessed that I was able to even take a fun trip like this. Technically we're not financially there yet - Robert's parents definitely stepped in on that part. To be taken into someone's family as one of their own is humbling and fills you with love. (Not that you have to go on a vacation with someone to feel that way.) I just feel lucky and blessed. Two years ago if you had asked me if I thought I'd be able to take a long weekend in Nantucket, I would have laughed in your face. Or perhaps, I would have cried. It's crazy to look back on where we've been emotionally and spiritually. Crazy especially for me since I've had some dramatic ups and downs there. But, just like the ducks little legs, God was working hard for me. He carried me through support of my family and friends and somehow here I am, still a work in progress, but a far cry from the mess I was in two years ago. Thank you God, for sticking it out with me and thank you dear friends for loving me.

Jeremiah 29: 11-13
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 

2 comments:

Sarah Smith said...

Alexis, you are so awesome. Also, I have read Moby Dick and I am a huge fan. I think you should try it :)

alexis scarff said...

Sarah, I love you. Okay, good, I'm so glad you've read it, you can help me! It'll be just like 16th Century English Lit- still can't believe I pulled a B in there. Breakdown city. ha.