Tuesday, January 4, 2011

favorite wedding gift

I'm utterly in awe of some people. One of these people is my Great Aunt Ruby. She is 95 and incredibly healthy and sharp. I find this amazing. I haven't seen her in a long time, so I just keep up with what she is up to through my mom. About a month ago she fell and broke her wrist when she was getting her mail, so she is staying in assisted living until she heals.We went to see her on Christmas Eve. I couldn't believe how good she was doing despite her broken wrist. I hadn't seen her in over a year and upon seeing her this time I've decided that she is the healthiest elderly person I have ever seen. I mean come on, SHE WAS BORN IN 1915.


I couldn't believe how funny and coherent and with it she was. She was telling stories, giving my Dad a hard time, making jokes, dropping phrases that I've never heard. One being, "a high heeled time"...meaning a wild night. I'm going to try to bring that back, "high heeled time". She also remembered I got married last year and she had a present for Robert and I. This completely touched my heart. She had made us dish towels and loofahs and given us a $20 check. By far my favorite wedding gift. I hope I can be half as healthy as Aunt Ruby if I make it to 95. They just don't make them like that anymore :)

1 comment:

wahab said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.