Friday, February 4, 2011

Recluse

Defined: Someone in isolation who hides away from the attention of the public, a person who lives in solitude, i.e. seclusion from intercourse with the world.

Bob, my hub, works from home. Sometimes when I come home from work, I walk in the house, the lights are dim and he's sitting on the couch in lounge wear with only the glow of his lap top showing any life in our home. This is when I get a real kick out of myself by saying, "my gosh, Howard Hughes, open a window!" I think I'm really funny. He thinks I'm over exaggerating, which I am, of course. The day I come home and there's gallons of urine next to his lap top and his nails are at all longer than mine-it's time for an intervention. Until then, I'll just keep stifling my jealousy that he gets to work from home by venting it on my blog. Ha-kidding. It's actually no secret, especially to Bob. I pout about having to go to the office much to often.

This very Monday I was feeling the wear of the 9-5 routine and I became angry that this is the way we have to spend our lives. Short weekends and long work weeks. Always drained, never refreshed. Abbreviated vacations and extended overtime. I was also just incredibly uninspired and disappointed in where I am professionally. I felt too defeated to think about or care what direction I should go to change my current state.

Then....I went and saw a good friends new baby boy, not even a week old, and I felt hope. My best friend and I drove over to see him and we laughed on the way there and I felt the warmth of good friendship.

Then....came the SNOW. And God gave me 4 days off work. Four days. Four days of time with my husband, to watch a movie, to read, to cook, to think, to do nothing.

I think if there's a recluse in our marriage, its probably me. Every morning this week when I got word that I didn't have to go to work I was thrilled. I was beyond okay with being at home and the possibilities in what I could get done here. Not the slightest hint of cabin fever has come over me. I think I could read, watch movies, cook and hang with Robert for weeks and be okay.

I also took a mental break in trying to figure out what my next path will be and how I will get there. A career can't define me or make me whole and I'm not a loser because I don't have it figured out yet.

God will reveal where he wants me. My husband believes in me and supports me, which touches my heart every day and I know my friends and family believe in me too. What more can you really ask for in life?

Not much else. :) So thankful for the break and pray I can feel refreshed and renewed to tackle what comes my way.

Hope you all enjoyed the crazy weather in some way...snowball fight, baileys and hot chocolate, horrid daytime tv, catching up on sleep, work..whatever your heart desired!

Ppppffffftttttt loves snow days and turning into Howard Hughes.

No comments: