Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mom and sis heading to Beantown - T-6 days

My mom and I texting today. Her b-day is this Saturday.

Me: What are the BIRTHDAY GIRL'S plans this weekend??! :)

Mom: Nothing!!

Me: I don't believe that!! ;)

Mom: Truth!!

Me: Well, nothing is my favorite thing to do! You've got to rest up for Beantown!

Mom: Is that what it is called??

If you haven't guessed it's my Mom's first trip there. :)

I googled it and found this out....


Why is Boston called Beantown?
Back in colonial days, a favorite Boston food was beans baked in molasses for several hours. Back then, Boston was sort of awash in molasses - it was part of the "triangular trade" in which slaves in the Caribbean grew sugar cane to be shipped to Boston to be made into rum to be sent to West Africa to buy more slaves to send to the West Indies. Even after the end of this practice, Boston continued as big rum producing city - the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 (which killed 21), ocurred when a tank holding molasses for rum production exploded.
Today, Boston baked beans are something of a rarity - there are no companies in the city making it and only a few restaurants serve it. If you want to try it yourself, here's a Boston baked beans recipe

What a brutal way to go...molasses explosion...geees.

I know Mom and sis are going to have GREAT trip (thanks to Ryan). They are going to learn and see so many cool things!!! I wish I was going!! Can't wait to hear stories of their Beantown adventures....

No comments: