Friday, November 7, 2008

Reason #862: Why I hate Texas A&M

I'm sorry if you like them, but there is something about A&M that annoys me more than any other institution out there. YUCK. If you feel differently, read below and you will most likely change your mind.



Reveille

Reveille, the first lady of Aggieland, is the official mascot of Texas A&M University. She is the highest ranking member of the Corps of Cadets, and she is a Five-Star General.

Reveille I came to Texas A&M in January 1931. A group of cadets hit a small black and white dog on their way back from Navasota. They picked up the dog and brought her back to school so they could care for her. The next morning, when "Reveille" was blown by a bugler, she started barking. She was named after this morning wakeup call. The following football season she was named the official mascot when she led the band onto the field during their half-time performance. When Reveille I died on January 18, 1944, she was given a formal military funeral on the gridiron of Kyle Field. She was then buried at the north entrance to the field, as all Reveilles are, facing the scoreboard so that she can always watch the Aggies outscore their opponent.

Before naming Reveille II, there were several other unofficial mascots, such as Tripod, Spot, and Ranger. It was not until a later Reveille that she was a full-blood Collie. The most current Reveille is Reveille VII who was inducted during Parents Weekend in April 2001.

Reveille is the most revered dog on campus. Company E-2 has the privilege of taking care of Reveille. If she is sleeping on a cadet's bed, that cadet must sleep on the floor. Cadets address Reveille as "Miss Rev, ma'am." If she is in class and barks while the professor is teaching, the class is to be immediately dismissed.

Reveille is a highly cherished mascot and receives only the best.


UMMMMMM....excuse me, a "Five-Star General"???? Along with Douglas MacArthur and Dwight Eisenhower??? PLEASE. Not to mention, the "cadet must sleep on the floor"??? It's a DOG. I don't care how good of a school A&M claims to be, this is the stupidest thing I have EVER heard. For the love of God, OU please pummel them this weekend.

Okay, my raging is finished. If you haven't lost your appetite due to Reveille...then you should move to College Station.

4 comments:

Ande said...

can...we please take their...tradition...of...kissing...at...each...touchdown?

that...would...help...my..no...game.

yep,letsdothattomorrow.

booomer!

(myspacebarisbroken!)

a. scarff said...

hahahha. Agreed Ande Le Courtney!! Although, I tend to think that proves that A&M guys have NO game, less than us, if they had to go to the lengths of making that a tradition. Wow, I might need to bring this up in therapy, I really have a problem with A&M. ha

WoodrowWilson said...

Alexis has a blog? Nice work. Jon Woods also has a blog.

http://www.ralphiereport.com

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about writing an ebook or guest authoring
on other sites? I have a blog centered on the same ideas you discuss and would love to have you
share some stories/information. I know my readers would enjoy your work.
If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me
an e mail.

Also visit my web blog: garcinia