Friday, January 30, 2009

What's in a dream??

So, ever since I started dating this Robert fellow, I've been thinking a lot about dreams. Not for the cheesy reason that you think i'm going to say. "Because the he's the man of my dreams." --well, I take that back, because he pretty much is, BUT the reason I've been thinking about them is because he remembers his...vividly. It's so great. I only remember on rare occasions and if I do remember it's blurry and in bits and pieces...one that's vivid, that's like seeing someone really famous because it barely ever happens. Once and a while though, right when I'm in that in the limbo between asleep and awake, my mind will retain the alternate world I was in during the last eight hours. It's so exciting. Almost as exciting as seeing Luke Wilson at Javier's on my birthday (that happened...true life, right, Ande Courtney.)

Last night, I remembered my dream in more detail than normal, it wasn't very cool, so I'm not going to really dive in. The jist was that I was in a dance recital and I didn't have the outfits I needed to wear and I was upset and I couldn't preform. Drama. Robert said that's my version on an anxiety dream and that some people have those about missing classes or failing tests and they are often recurring. I believe that dreams do mean something. My mom said after she lost my brother, she researched what dreams met because she thought there could have been some way she could have prevented what had happened. Far-fetched, yes definitely, I think she was just searching for any answer. I don't think she came up with anything valid that would have done that in any way whatsoever. Also, lots of people in the Bible in the Old Testament had visions from God in their dreams and FOLLOWED the instructions in their dreams...I don't know if I have that kind of faith. I want it, but that would take a whole lot. (I recently learned this about the Old Testament...I can't sit back and quote Leviticus, in case you're wondering.)

I've been thinking several things...am I anxious? There's the normal stuff... bills, health of a loved one, driving (which I do everyday, it's not exactly a strength of mine) which make me anxious, but I really do not have problems. This spurred the question of what do other people dream...Obama, Michael Phelps, even my boss who has to make tough decisions all the time. What do people under real pressure dream? Actually, what is real pressure?? and what is the point of the pressure we put on ourselves when most of the time there is little we can control?

Feel free to comment, love to hear what you think...and to all 3 of the faithful blog followers, sorry I don't frequently post. I guess, I'm just not a blog-a-day kind of girl. I'll try to be better!

Matthew 6:25-27
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

1 comment:

Ande said...

oh no, i think im going to cry again- no need to worry.

don't worry about a thing- cuz every little thing will be all right - Bob Marley

excellent post alexis- very fitting for my life right now. ;) and yes, we did see luke- much shorter in real life.

confession- i own a dream book. it is housed in my night stand. i only believe it when it is a good fortune; never if it tells me my dream means something bad.

THESE DREAMS............

keep it up alexis- brought me to tears- why worry about my job and lack of love life; God feeds the birds!